Given the nature of western-swing music, there’s always going to be a significant amount of steel-guitar playing on SWING ON THIS. But for the latest installment, I’ve put a little more of an emphasis on the instrument and some of its stellar practitioners, past and present, including Leon McAuliffe, Bobby Koefer, Bob Dunn, Rose Sinclair, Emil Hofner, Bob White, and J.D. Walters.
And for fans of the REGULAR guitar, we’ve got one of those great mid-‘60s instrumental tracks performed by our great friend Roy Clark.
All that and plenty more this Saturday, 7 p.m., in the Tulsa listening area over your radiophonic devices at 89.5 FM, and streaming live everywhere you can think of at publicradiotulsa.com. C’m’on along!
1. “Steel Guitar Stomp,” Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys
2. “A Little Bit West of Dixie,” Tom Morrell and His Time-Warp Tophands
(for BOBBY & JUDY KOEFER)
3. “Another Shot of Toddy,” Hank Thompson
(for BRAD & ANN JAMES and the GLASS LIFTERS)
4. “She’s Doggin’ Me,” Roy Newman and His Boys
5. “Stars Fell on Alabama,” Eddy Arnold
(for CAROLE & JACK BENDER)
6. “Ida Blue,” Ida Red
7. “Diddy Wah Diddy,” Michael H. Price and His Western Swingmasters
8, “Red Wagon,” Buddy Jones
9. “Honky Tonk,” Roy Clark
(for JIM HALSEY)
10. “She’s Just That,” Hank Penny
11. “Blues O’Mighty,” Brazos Valley Boys
12. “Stay on the Right Side,” Milton Brown and His Musical Brownies
13. “Steel Guitar Wipeout,” Bob White
(for HAMILL TIME)
14. “Crafton Blues,” Jimmie Revard and His Oklahoma Playboys
(for CAT & CHRIS BURTON0
15. “If I Ever Need A Lady,” Billy Parker